I think I’ll be taking a break from blogging for awhile. Why?
1. I’m tired of talking about politics and society. Those who agree with me don’t need to hear more, and those who don’t aren’t going to listen anyway. I’m not sure it’s possible to change minds anymore. Dialogue is dead.
2. I’ve tried posting only happy stuff, and I just can’t keep it up. Perhaps I’m just too negative, but it’s hard to stay positive. It either comes out sounding like Pollyannastic denial or relentless crowing about how wonderful my life is.
3. My life is interesting to me, but it doesn’t change quickly enough to be interesting to anyone else. I refuse to descend into discussing my breakfast.
4. I lack the courage to write about what I really want to write about. And the world has done an excellent job of convincing me it would be met with great disdain and venom if I did.
5. If I ever do become famous there are people out there who will use every word I’ve ever written here to bring me down. Why give them ammunition?
6. My posts tend to be either short tripe or long thought-pieces. I only really have the time to do the latter, and half the time I end up not posting them because I know it’s going to offend someone.
7. “Blogger Burnout” has been codified, and is therefore cool.
I may be back. I may not. Maybe I’ll wipe the database and start over with something harmless and inane. Who knows. I might buy a pogo stick and travel the world.